Gas cooker installation

Job description

We have just moved in to our new home which is a 1970s flat. The gas supply on the wall is at the exact same height/same place as the gas connection on the rear of the cooker and so it won't sit flush against the wall. We would like to know if there is a solution for this (other than chasing into the wall which I understand would cost hundreds of pounds).

Can this old-looking piece of pipe be changed?

Alternatively, if we were to decide that we didn't mind the cooker sticking out/not sitting flush against the wall, could the hose still be fitted safely from the gas supply pipe on the wall and connect to the back of the cooker?

Many thanks in advance!